Over the past decade, use of mobile phones for accessing internet and through it the diverse range of content, products and services available online has increased significantly. However, the generally poor web performance often leads to extremely slow loading of web pages making the experience of web browsing a jarring experience for the users. This has led the technology companies and the web content publishers to seek solutions that can help improve the entire mobile content ecosystem for creators, users, publishers and even consumer platforms. The one thing that can bring about this change is to make it easier for the publishers to create pages that are faster by-default.
Image From :::: http://goo.gl/vAAheb
What Is AMP
The need to develop a faster and expressive subset of restrictive things that could be used from HTML, led to the evolution of the concept of Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP). Put in the simplest terms, this project form Google aims to ensure faster loading of web pages across mobile devices. It is based on existing web technologies and enables better rendering of the documents created in it across all modern web browsers. This is one of the major reasons that have led an increasing number of websites to implement AMP for their news content.
What Are The Limitations Of AMP
Despite being a promising project that is set to enhance the browsing experience of mobile users, AMP comes with some limitations of its own. The most important of these are listed below.
- In order to ensure faster loading through the creation of lightweight pages, use of specific HTML tags such as forms etc is prevented.
- Although AMP works relatively well with CSS, use of a streamlined version of this scripting language is recommended for better efficiency.
- The model is currently suitable only for reading content rather than offering any other interactive facilities to the users.
Image From :::: https://goo.gl/eViSCg
Benefits Offered By AMP
Having learned about the limitations of AMP, it is also important to understand how it can prove beneficial for a business website and its users. The primary objective behind the development of AMP has been to provide an enhanced net browsing experience to mobile users by improving the speed at which pages get loaded on their device. In addition to this basic feature, AMP offers the following benefits.
- It ensures reliable performance irrespective of the type of mobile device that is used to view pages.
- It is designed to have easily cacheable content across diverse content delivery networks (CDN’s).
- It ensures a more stable positioning of content reducing the possibility of visual jank to almost zero.
- Resources are required to declare their sizing up front which ensures that the AMP document does not change its size until user action.
Getting Started With AMP On Google Search
People or entities, who want to start implementing AMP for their websites on Google Search, need to first create matching and valid AMP pages, wherever applicable. They also need to make use of the News Article schema.org markup and link them with the AMP pages in an appropriate manner for optimal performance.